Integrated safety simplifies configuration
Integrated safety reduces the need for external safety components, simplifying configuration and reducing installation space. The safety functionality is a built-in feature of the ACS880, with safe torque off (STO) as standard.
Additional safety functions can be commissioned with the optional and compact safety functions module. ACS880 drives offer encoderless safety. The drives’ functional safety is designed in accordance with EN/IEC 61800-5-2 and complies with the requirements of the European Union Machinery Directive 2006/42/EC.
Safe torque off as standard
Safe torque off (STO) is used to prevent unexpected startup and in stopping-related functions, enabling safe machine maintenance and operation. With safe torque off activated, the drive will not provide a rotational field. This prevents the motor from generating torque on the shaft. This function corresponds to an uncontrolled stop in accordance with stop category 0 of EN 60204-1.
The safety functions module
The easy to connect and configure safety functions module (FSO-12 and -21) offers a wide range of safety functions and a self diagnostic function that meets current safety requirements and standards, all in one compact module.
Compared to using external safety components, the safety functions module comes with the supported functions seamlessly integrated with the drive functionality, reducing the implementation of safety function connections and configuration. Installation of the module results in less need for cabling and provides a cost-effective solution.
Commissioning and configuration of the safety functions module is done with the Drive composer pro PC tool. Larger safety systems can be built using PROFIsafe over Profinet connection between a safety PLC (such as AC500-S) and the ACS880 drive. The connection is achieved using the FENA-21 fieldbus adapter module and the safety functions module.
The safety functions module can also be ordered as a spare part kit and installed afterwards to the drive. The kit includes most common assembly accessories for ACS880 drives.
The module supports the following safety functions (which achieve up to SIL 3 or PL e (Cat. 3) safety level:
- Safe stop 1 (SS1) brings the machine to a stop (STO) using a monitored deceleration ramp. It is typically used in applications where the machinery motion needs to be brought to a stop (stop category 1) in a controlled way before switching over to the no-torque state.
- Safe stop emergency (SSE) can be configured to, upon request, either activate STO instantly (category 0 stop), or first initiate motor deceleration and then, once the motor has stopped, activate the STO (category 1 stop).
- Safe brake control (SBC) provides a safe output for controlling the motor’s external (mechanical) brakes, together with STO.
- Safely-limited speed (SLS) ensures that the specified speed limit of the motor is not exceeded. This allows machine interaction to be performed at slow speed without stopping the drive. The safety function module comes with four individual SLS settings for speed monitoring.
- Safe maximum speed (SMS) monitors that the speed of the motor does not exceed the configured speed limit.
- Prevention of unexpected startup (POUS) ensures that the machine remains stopped when people are in a danger area.
- Safe direction (SDI) ensures that rotation is allowed only to the selected direction. Available only with FSO-21 and FSE-31.
- Safe speed monitor (SSM) provides information that speed is within the configured limits. Available only with FSO-21
Safety functions module
|Safety functions module||+Q973|
© Copyright 2015 ABB. All rights reserved.
Specifications subject to change without notice.